Monday, November 9, 2009

Athens or Sparta?

Blog #5- Due Sunday, November 15th

In which Greek city-state would you rather live in- Athens or Sparta? Give specific reasons based on class notes, discussion, and research for your journal project.

59 comments:

  1. I would rather live in Athens because of how the government is so diffrent. In Athens, democracy is the voting of the citizens of the civilization, and Sparta is Oligarchy is how they have few rich people rule,.. thats not fair to the poor people. Also how Sparta is mostly based on fighting, while Athens focuses on learning, government, entertainment, architecture...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rather live in athens because Athens is a democracy which means citizens can vote also Athens appreciates art and music but also had a sting military

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with fun girl because sparta was based on military and was run by an oligrachy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would rather live in the sparta city state. I choose sparta because i can relate to the soldiers life style and they are discipline to get their bodies and minds in shape for war. They began shaping minds as young as age seven. If i was a Spartan i would be pround of my strength, fearless, numb to pain and superior to all others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what fungirl77 wrote about the government part because I would probably rather have more of a say in my government than what I would have in Sparta. I think it would be a little difficult for me to have a few people telling me what to do all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would rather live in Athens Because It is a direct democrace I would also rather live there because it just seames funer you could go to plays and stuff like that but in Sparta it is all about war and fighting

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would rather live in Athens because i would like to have an education and value arts such as comdey dramas architecture. I would also like voting and having a say in government that is why i would like to live in athens over sparta

    ReplyDelete
  8. i agree with fungirl77 because Athens does focus on non combat items and are decromatic. but remember that insparta women had more rights and were overall more powerfull jsut something to think about

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree with fungirl77 i would like to live in athens too. i also do agree with her about the democratic government i think if you live there and pay money you should be able to vote and decide on laws and different government issues. i would not like to live in sparta because i wouldnt like it if i had to go to the military at age 7 also i would want a lot more schooling than just two years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Fungirl77 when that person said they'd rather live in Athens. Athens follows a democracy, obviously that is the government we follow today and I'm used to it. Athens is not crazy on their military so I would keep living at home with my family when I turned 7. In athens, I would be educated instead of being forced to fight. I like archetecture on fancy buildings too, and Athens is the perfect place for that, after the persian war that is. woman may not have as many rights as sparta in athens, but at least I live a fair childhood.(As far as I know)

    ReplyDelete
  11. well i think id rather live in sparta. spartian boys are tought to be tough and they are trained to fight in wars. they start training at the young age of 7 years old so by the time i was 14 in sparta id be beastly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i would rather live in athens because they have comedy and people or the government wouldnt mind if you had made a jokes about them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i agree with superman because as a citizen i would be honored to vote!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would rather live in sparta for when I was young and Athens for when I get older because according to reasurch young girls in Sparta go to school and learn about training so they can be strong mothers when they grow up and and in our class notes we would go around the age of 7.
    On the other hand I would like to be an athinian woman because in Athens their weddings had more of a solid structure to it:) according to reasurch, athinian women had to ride a chariot from their home to their husbans home and the husband led the way while families followed with gifts. While in sparta , tow men fought for the lady and whoever was stronger and won the fight the woman would get them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I dont agree with fungirl77 because yeah they don't put the say in for poor people in an oligarchy but, thats because they didnt go to school to make the right desisions and be educated enough to know what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. well, i would rather live in Athens because it is a Direct Democracy, which means Athenians have more freedom. I completely agree with icecoffe2's reply...Athens' government is basically like ours except they vote "directy" on issues...while we vote indirectly, like how we vote for representitives...
    To me, asking would i rather live in Athens or Sparta is like asking would i rather live in the U.S or Iraq....and the obvious choice is the U.S.lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would rather live in Athens because they valued knowledge unlike Sparta who valued a strong military. The people in Athens had a better chance of getting an education because the boys weren't sent at 7 to learn how to survive. Girls sometimes learned how to read and write at home in Athens.

    ReplyDelete
  18. in my opinion i think rather live in athens just because of its government. Id rather have a democracy than an oligarchy. i think that athens is more peaceful than sparta just for the reason that sparta is always training for war and was always prepared to go to war. In the olympics sparta would cheat and do whatever it takes to win. In athens they just play fairly. so to the question i prefer athens

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with Panda_lover about how athens weddings are more structured, and how the girls getto learn and go to school. Like Panda_lover said in Sparta the women had no choise they married whoever won the challenge by force.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would personaly want to live in Athens because instead of being based on war Athens is more about wisdom, and since I don't agree with war being in an area that's about wisdom seems better. They also are about entertainment like tragedies which I think is good so people have something to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'd rather live in athens . because , sparta is soo strict . and , im such a lazy person - and , alllll that work is sooo unnecesary & i wouldnt be able to put up w/ that . haha .

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would rather live in Athens because I would want to have a say in my government. Sparta does not seem like a place anyone would want to live. I would want to live where I wouldn't have to be thinking about fighting all the time. I don't agree with panda_lover because no one went to school so none of them would be educated to know what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with fungirl77 because i love the aspect of athens, the love of education and architecture. i also love how there government is a democracy because i think that if you live somewhere you should be able to vote.even though athens doesnt give everyone the right to vote i still think that it is fair that most people get to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i would rather live in athens because its a democracy and citizens can vote on issues unlike sparta which is an Oligarchy where only a few pepole rule. athens also treasured stuff like art and philisophy and thats stuff that i think is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with whitetiger because athens isn't all about war it's more about entertainment, which I believe is more productive than war so I also think Athens would be a good place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Like panda_lover I would like to live in Athens because when the women would get married I would like a more formal wedding. I wouldn’t want the person I’m marrying to have to fight for it. I would want my father to choose if I could not choose my husband. And when you got married in Athens your friends would be there chanting and singing to give you good luck and make sure there was no bad spirits. Also I would not want my children to have to go away and fight at the age of 7. I would want my children to be well educated.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would rather live in athens because i'd like to have an education and go to school. education is important in athens but military training is important in sparta.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i would agree with superman for the reason of that like having a democracy. an oligarchy would be very bad because you couldnt really have a say in government.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree with Fungirl77 when she says she would rather live in Athens because of how the government is so diffrent. i would rather live in a place where i have a say instead of being told everything.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would rather live in Sparta because their army is much more stronger than Athens. Even at the age of 7 the Spartan boys would train to be a fierce fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would rather live in Sparta because their army is much more stronger than Athens. Even at the age of 7 the Spartan boys would train to be a fierce fighter and they were told to steal and be sneaky but if they were caught they would get punished and badly beaten.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I disagree with Coltz557 because when your living in a city state like Athens you can't just think about comedy and arts. You have to think about your military for the safety of your city state. You don't want to get conquered by other city states if your military is weak.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I believe that I would rather live in the greek city-state of Sparta because if i was a girl growing up in Sparta i would get more privlages. Just like the boys, when i reached the age of 7 we had the chance to go to school and also train to become strong mothers of strong sons and daughters. Therefore i would be smarter and recieve more expieriences than if i was a girl growning up in Athens.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I agree with panda_lover because i would like to live in Sparta when i was younger and get more opportunities. But when i was older i would get to live in Athens.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would rather live in sparta then athens. I feel that athens wasnt as strong as sparta was. Sparta also treated women with better rights and i think thats awsome.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I agree completly with jetdude...i agree with him because the spartans where ruthless and even though they where verry strong they where also verry smart, the ways they organized there battle plans where amazing and allowed them to take out lots of enemy soldiers without lossing many themselves

    ReplyDelete
  37. For me i would rather live in sparta i say this because it seems like more fun that athens. athens has some mean laws and are not that nice to there women. also sparta seems more like us now than the ways athens was. but that is just an opinion =)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I would rather live in sparta because they had more freedom especially the women. they also had a well trained army and Athens would want to be them, usually during war

    ReplyDelete
  39. I agree with monkeyman because Sparta boys started training as young boys so they were prepaed for war when they were older.

    ReplyDelete
  40. i dont agree with fungirl77 because i think that Sparta had things like gov and entertainment its just diffrent and i think better. so beside the fact that theres a oligarchy gov sparta is better place to live end of story

    ReplyDelete
  41. I would rather live in spatra because there are so manty pros and cons about sparta. I dissagre with fungril77, because anthens is more about going to war and killing people,animals, and pretty much anything that moves. Also, Sparta has a bit more freedom that anthens because you dont necessary have to go to military school, but instead you can go to school and get a education.

    ReplyDelete
  42. i would rather live in sparta because they train the kids to be tough...but at the same time all kids arent ment for war..so it also could be a bad thing

    ReplyDelete
  43. I also think that i might want to live in anthens because when you turn age 6 to age 7, you atomatically go into the the military school where you become tuff, strong and and a very nobel boy. I also agree with fungirl77, because she talks about how in anthens democracy is the voting of people. I agree with this also because in anthens you recieve some freedom in what you want to do, and what you can do for a person of the anthens group. That is why i think that i would like to be a part of the anthens group.

    ReplyDelete
  44. i wouldnt like to live in spart because i wouldnt want to go to the millitary over getting a education. i would like this because i could do something with and education some day.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I would rather live in Athens because of their government. They have a democracy,in which citizens can vote; unlike Sparta which is an oligarchy. I would also rather live in Athens so I wouldn't have to be trained for war at seven years old. Although women had more personal rights,I believe that the people of Athens had a better standard of living. Women who were not poor had a fairly easy life and were taught at home.

    ReplyDelete
  46. i would rather live in sparta. sparta has a stronger millitary and i believe it would be a better place to live. they treat their woman with respect also. sparta did win in the peloponnisian war, and i would want to live in the city-state that wins.

    ReplyDelete
  47. i agree with white tiger because sparta in a direct democracy. i would like to have a say in who would run the city-state i was living in. i wouldnt want a ruler who did everything the wrong way or for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  48. name13,
    Sparta is an oligarchy, not a direct democracy. You would not have had a say there.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I would go with Sparta in a hart beat. Not only for the strong milatary but for the power. After sparta took over Athens they took over every thing.

    ReplyDelete
  50. ..okay..wow...for the ppl who has Athens and Sparta twisted, you need to pay attention in class!!! Its bugging me that more than a few of you said Sparta is a Direct Democracy or value education...its definitely the other way around. Like OMG do you even know what you are writing???...hahaha.thats all i have to say:')

    ReplyDelete
  51. I would rather live in sparta.They have the best military but all the boy of sparta have to join the army once they are older. Even though it would be cool to fight in their army bravely. Becuase athens was beaten by sparta and lost all of its power to sparta.

    ReplyDelete
  52. i would rather be a spertan child because they are taught toughness and strength. it would be tough to live in the barracks but i think it would be worth it

    ReplyDelete
  53. i do not agree with tigerwoodsfan#1 because life is not all about comedy and entertainment. life is tough and you need to know how to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  54. i agree with FAstkarter because it is always good to be on the winning side because life is easier when you get what you want. and no one want to get taken over

    ReplyDelete
  55. i agree with coltz557 i would rather live in athens because i would like an education and a say in democracy. we discussed in class that athens performed a type of entertainment which included tragidies and comedies, i would like to see that. (nice blueboy haha)

    ReplyDelete
  56. If I could live either athens or sparta I would chose athens because they went through fewer wars than sparta,and athens has good entertainment with the theater in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I agree with Fungirl77 because athens democracy allowed everyone to speak for the city-state and everyone is an equal. but in sparta the rich could only rule the city.since sparta only concitraits on war while athens works on art.

    ReplyDelete
  58. i would rather live athens. they have a democracy and eventually a idrect democracy for gov't. i would have some say. its also know as the brains. id rather be brains then be brans(sparta). in sparta if theres on little thing worng you could be left on a hill top to die. i dont agree with that at all

    ReplyDelete
  59. i agree with robinflyfree bcuz well have education, a say in democracy and also entertaiment. women also tend to have more rights in athens i believe.

    ReplyDelete